Lets talk about some bulk beds. Specifically we can talk about how to set these up with the use of 2.5" and 1.75". Bundles are a vital part to hoseloads that we use and deploy. But, what we connect to these bundles and how we deploy them is important.
A lot of departments use a gated wye in order to offer the connection from a 2.5 to 1.75. There are multiple problems that arise from this however. The problems include:
- Potentially kicking closed the working line
- Potentially kicking open the non working side
- Vibrations/Pressure causing the wye to shut itself
- Not relaying the new pressure to the pump operator when connecting a 2nd line
- If you hook a second line, the amount of pressure on one line when the other is shot is extremely high
Here are some other options that you can consider:
- Bell reducer
- 2.5" nozzle to extend off of
Extending off the nozzle is a great option. This allows you to flow high volume water if and when needed.
Let us know your thoughts too!